The Recorder’s office strongly recommends that you seek professional advice from attorneys or licensed title agencies before preparing any document to be recorded. Our employees cannot offer legal advice.

No. You may visit the Crawford County Law Library, visit your local library, or you may obtain “fill in the blank” forms at many office supply or stationary stores. Care must be taken that any submitted documents meet all legal requirements.

The originals are returned based on the instructions given to us at the time of recording. Typically those instructions are to return the documents to the financial institution or title company that is completing the recording of the document(s). Individuals are recommended to provide a self-addressed stamped envelope when submitting their documents for their return.

The Recorder updates many indexes on a document when recorded. Those index descriptions can be searched under the “Legal Description” criteria. Property address is not included as a separate index. You may find a name, transfer date or other information by searching for address on the Crawford County Auditor’s search page.

Typically a new deed is only issued when a property is transferred (e.g. bought/sold). When a mortgage is satisfied, a release of mortgage is prepared and filed by the lender.

Surveys are not typically filed in the Recorder’s Office. Contact your lender or title company for this information. If your home is in a subdivision, a plat map will typically be available. A plat map is a drawing showing dimensions of a lot (with streets, alleys, building lines, etc.) drawn to scale. You can search our records for plat maps by using a subdivision name. A plat map will not show any buildings or blueprints. The Crawford County Auditor’s office manages a public access map room where users may print customized Geographic Information System (GIS) maps. The available customized data layers include building footprints, lot dimensions, and some utilities.

Effective July 1, 2001, Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) financing statements are recorded in this office if they relate to real estate.

No. Any document that transfers real estate must first be approved and the transfer process starts at the Crawford County Engineer’s office. You may reach the Engineer at 419-563-1535.

Certain real property liens are filed with the Recorder’s office, but this office does not remove or release any liens. Documents recorded in our office are public record and are accessible for search by any interested parties, including credit-reporting agencies. Certain property tax liens are handled by the Crawford County Treasurer, while others are the result of filings with the Clerk of Courts. Other Liens (e.g. unpaid Stat of Ohio Income Tax Liens) may require you to contact another agency. It is recommended you obtain a case number from the reporting agency. If disputed, you may dispute errors in your credit profile with the credit bureau.

No. You will have to come to the office or send in a mail request to order certified copies. There is a fee required in accordance with state law.

No. the Crawford County Auditor’s Personal Property Tax Division registers mobile home titles.

A marginal notation is a reference to a previously recorded document. Historically, documents such as mortgages and liens were assigned and/or released by placing a stamp in the margins of the official record book. Many documents require a prior reference for recording and indexing. There is an additional charge per reference for documents that are recorded with our office containing marginal notations.

Did not find the answer to your question here?

Give us a call at 419-562-6961.